Friday, November 23, 2012

Vital Visuals

So this may seem like a shameless plug to my new Teachers Pay Teachers Store (okay, it kind of is!), but if I call myself a blog about my class of children with autism, I HAVE to talk about visuals!!

People with autism are said to actually see the world in pictures; like snapshots. I can't be 100% sure of this (though I would love a sneak peek into the brain of my kiddos), but I do know that my students respond very well to visuals. It is true: people with autism are visual learners.

If you have spent time with anyone with autism, you have probably heard of Boardmaker. It is a computer software that allows you to make computer activities, printed visuals, worksheets (you name it) using very simple pictures. They have a picture of just about everything. Depending on the student I am working with, I will either show them a visual of what I would like them to do (ex: a picture of a boy with his finger in the "shhh" position at his lips to show the student they need to be quiet) or I would pair the visual with a verbal request (ex: show the visual while saying "Quiet voice"). Once you know your students, you would get a feel or what kind of verbals they can handle.

So, I wear a lanyard around my neck with my most needed visual cues at all times. I have quite a few students that tend to become violent when getting riled up (which is when I REALLY need my visuals handy!), which has led to them yanking on the lanyard and almost strangling me. YIKES, right? Well, that behavior DOES come with my job title. So, I got creative and cut my lanyard in the back. I then added two pieces of velcro and put it back together. Now, when one of my little buddies pulls the lanyard in a fit, it will break away rather than hurt me, and I can just pick it up and still have my visuals handy. We all win :)

I have posted a freebie on my TpT store of my most needed visuals.  Hope you're having a great LONG Thanksgiving weekend!!



No comments:

Post a Comment